It has been quiet around here lately and that means life is in full swing. So a few quick updates from my realm of the triathlon universe:
- Shoulders and neck continue to be sore. A few weeks back, moving furniture I pulled a muscle in my back and shoulder that is causing discomfort throughout my upper back, neck and arms. It is gradually getting better, but is still quite bothersome. Maybe I am just getting old?
- Workouts themselves have been light lately as I let my shoulders recover. I’ve mainly been focusing on Yoga, foam rolling, and stretches, but did get back to the gym for a workout.
- Today’s gym workout was pretty cool with a combination of jump rope, squat and press, and push-ups. The shoulders are a little more sore than they were before, unfortunately.
- The Paleo/Primal diet has taken a bit of a back seat lately. This week bagels and bread seemed to creep back in, as did Oreos (Oh no!). Focus this next week is to get back to a diet with far less processed foods.
- My hope of competing in the Greeley Triathlon in June were dashed as life prevents me from leaving Santa Barbara at that time. I am feeling a bit bummed about it, but I will find other events to do at more opportune times.
- I am continuing my own custom fitness tracking solution that I’ve been calling TrainingMetrix. Help me out and take a look at the blog or the forums.
While I still struggle to return back down to my racing weight and let my shoulders mend, I keep reflecting back on my awesome 2009 season. Using 2009 as my inspiration for 2011, that little thing called life keeps reminding me of how complex things can get. Still, triathlons are awesome and they will always be in my daydreams.
So, what strategies do you use to balance triathlon with the rest of life’s obligations?